Thanks for logging in.

You can now click/tap WATCH to start the live stream.

Thanks for logging in.

You can now click/tap LISTEN to start the live stream.

Thanks for logging in.

You can now click/tap LATEST NEWS to start the live stream.

on air now

Create a 2GB account today!

You can now log in once to listen live, watch live, join competitions, enjoy exclusive 2GB content and other benefits.

Joining is free and easy.

You will soon need to register to keep streaming 2GB online. Register an account or skip for now to do it later.


Christchurch latest: Survivors demand answers as gun shops prepare for a rush

Alan Jones
Article image for Christchurch latest: Survivors demand answers as gun shops prepare for a rush

A rush is expected at New Zealand gun stores as Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern pushes for a change to gun laws, as soon as today.

Meanwhile, survivors and families and friends of the deceased are demanding to know why police didn’t respond to the Christchurch mosque massacres sooner.

120 extra police officers are being deployed in Christchurch to ensure residents returning to school and work feel safe today.

The death toll stands at 50 with another 34 people still in hospital.

The terrorist attack has sparked widespread calls for New Zealand to adopt Australia’s gun laws, which were prompted by 1996 Port Arthur massacre.

NZ Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern will put proposed changes to a cabinet meeting this morning.

The architect of Australia’s gun reforms was John Howard.

The former prime minister tells Alan Jones, New Zealand must consider change.

“They certainly are looser laws, much looser laws than exist in Australia.

“And I’m certain in the wake of this, there’ll be a united resolve across the political scene in that country to do something.”

Click PLAY below to hear the full interview

Gun shops in Christchurch have been busy in the wake of the attack, with a further rush expected today.

Nicole McKee from the New Zealand Council of Licensed Firearm said the ban on semi-automatics hasn’t prevented terror attacks from occurring in Australia.

But the survivors of the attack, as well as families and friends of the victims, want change.

Several survivors want answers about the police force’s response time.

Nasir Oeddin lost a friend in the attack, and another was shot in the leg before crawling to safety when the gunman opened fire at Al Noor mosque.

He says it took police about 20 minutes to arrive, allowing the gunman to reload at his car three times.

Click PLAY to hear from Mr Oeddin

Late yesterday it was a topic Detective Superintendent Peter Read didn’t want to discuss.

“I don’t particularly want to get into the details of that, that’s still being looked at as part of the wider investigation,” he said.

An official response was published within hours, saying the first emergency call came in at 1:41pm, with the armed offenders squad arriving within 10 minutes.

The gunman was arrested after a second massacre at the Linwood mosque 4 kilometres away, within 36 minutes.

Alan Jones